The term AIOps has been thrown around quite a lot over the past half-a-decade, if not more.
Being hailed as the next best thing in IT Management, AIOps has fascinated some and confused others. But what exactly is AIOps, and why should you or your business care about it? This is what we will be looking at, in-depth, in this article!
‘AIOps’, originally coined by Gartner, simply means the application of advanced analytics processes in a holistic manner. AIOps brings all the advanced technologies like Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Automation, and more, under one hood and operates on the entire umbrella of technologies to provide your business with top-notch automation. In doing so, AIOps helps IT Teams operate at a pace that is best suited for business growth. By providing insightful intelligence that drives automation, AIOps has helped businesses improve their processes and save time and resources in the process.
- Another thing to know about AIOps is that they came into existence at just the right time - when the world needed it the most. No wonder, then, that businesses far and wide have moved towards the power of this approach to cut through the noise. Let’s look at some clear reasons that have propelled this growth in AIOps adoption!
The Reasons Behind the Steep Ascent of AIOps
AIOps, in essence, is the evolution of analytics in IT operations. It has grown out of several needs and trends that have affected the businesses of today. Some such reasons include:
- IT environments are growing at unprecedented rates - With IT environments quickly scaling at unprecedented rates, traditional IT Management approaches have taken a back seat. Offline, manual efforts that require a lot of human intervention don’t work in the world that operates on an ever-increasing pile of big data. AIOps, on the other hand, simplifies operations by introducing automation and other relevant technologies under one umbrella.
- Continuous and unending growth of data to retain - Apart from the IT environment, the amount of data that IT teams of today need to retain and explore is also increasing exponentially. Again, the traditional methods of going through this data to derive intelligence have taken a backseat. AIOps handles this complexity seamlessly, saving IT Teams a lot of time and headspace.
- Modern infrastructure problems require modern solutions - With more businesses looking to digitize their operations, IT no longer remains a part of a business. Instead, IT is the business of today. The consumerization of tech has changed UX for industries far and wide. As a result of this, reaction to IT events needed to occur immediately, especially when the issue impacts user experience.
- Greater computing power at the edges of networks - Another important trend that has propelled the adoption of AIOps is the ease with which cloud infrastructure has empowered lines of business to build their own IT applications. As a result of that, budgeting and control of IT have shifted from the core to the edge, and more computing power is being presented at the edges - and not just the core.
The Working of AIOps
Now that we’ve gone through the reasons for the steep ascent in the adoption of AIOps, let's look at how AIOps work. The simplest way to get around the working of AIOps is to review each and every component of technology - like big data, AI, ML, and automation - and see how they play a role in the whole process.
To begin with, AIOps uses Big Data platforms to accommodate siloed IT ops in one place. This data generally includes the following:
- Historical data
- Real-time operations data
- System logs
- Network and packet data
- Ticketing data
- Document-based data
Then, using focused analytics and ML capabilities, AIOps helps with the following:
- Separate information from noise: Using analytics like pattern matching and rule application, AIOps combs through your operational data and helps in separating signals - important events - from noise.
- Find root causes and propose solutions: AIOps uses industry-specific algorithms to correlate abnormal events with other event data to quickly and efficiently find out the root cause of various problems and suggest perfect remedies.
- Automate responses and resolutions: AIOps are capable of automatically routing alerts and solutions to IT teams. They can even create response teams based on the nature of the problem and its solution. In most cases, AIOps processes result from ML to trigger automatic responses in order to address real-time problems, even before the users are aware of its occurrence.
- Continuously learn and improve for better handling of future problems: Being driven by ML, AIOps are capable of continuously changing and improving their algorithm to create more effective solutions. Further, AI models also help the system adapt to various changes in the environment seamlessly.
AIOps Benefits for You and Your Organization
The most prominent benefit of AIOps is that they enable IT operations to find, address, and resolve outages, slow-downs, and other problems much faster than they can be resolved manually. This extends to several other specific benefits, too, including:
- Get faster MTTR (Mean Time to Resolution): By cutting through all the noise from different IT environments, AIOps quickly and efficiently identify root causes and propose solutions much more accurately than humanly possible. In doing so, AIOps help organizations achieve previously unthinkable MTTR goals.
- Be proactive in your IT management: AIOps never stops learning, and so, it just keeps getting better at finding novel patterns and insights that correlate with urgent situations. That way, it helps you stay on top of your IT resources and ensures that you are proactive in dealing with IT issues and not reactive.
- Modernize your IT operations and teams: AIOps doesn’t bombard your IT team with all the alerts from every possible environment. Instead, it provides only those alerts and notifications that meet specific service level parameters. These alerts, too, are provided with all the context needed to make the best possible diagnosis as fast as possible. Further, the more AIOps learns and automates, it gets more efficient in helping your business reduce human effort, allowing your IT team to focus on tasks that are more strategic in nature.
The Future of AIOps - What Does the Trend Say?
Adoption of AIOps is growing strongly, but what does the future for AIOps look like? In short, the answer is the future for AIOps is extremely bright. As the amount of data available with IT teams keeps increasing, the need for automation and machine learning in tech operations will only increase. Let’s look at some trends and try to understand what they indicated about the future of AIOps:
Research conducted by the Digital Enterprise Journal suggests a more than 80%+ increase in the number of businesses deploying or looking to deploy AIOps capabilities since 2020.
MarketsandMarkets estimates the global AIOps platform market size to grow up to $12.02 billion by 2024, at a CAGR of more than 35%.
- More than half of the DevOps surveyed in 2020 suggest that they use AIOps in their tech management.
- Companies surveyed by Enterprise Management Associates ranked AIOps as the most successful IT analytics investment, with more than 80% indicating that the returns achieved from AIOps severely exceed the initial costs.
- Gartner, in its 2019 Strategic Roadmap for IT Operations Monitoring, included a recommendation for tech lakers to focus more on infrastructure, cloud management, and IT operations. The idea was to augment root cause analysis and IT performance by using AIOps to uncover extremely important insights for.
- In another guide released by Gartner, named Market Guide for AIOps Platforms, Gartner forecasts that by 2024, more than 50% of DevOps teams would have augmented application and infrastructure monitoring tools with AIOps. The guide also puts forth the following key trends for the future of AIOps:
- The future is bleak for IT Operations that do not include AIOps.
- AIOps helps tech leaders make better decisions by contextualizing large volumes of data. AIOps can therefore be used by businesses around the globe for improving performance analytics as well as augmenting automation with IT service management.
- Businesses that adopt AIOps will benefit from the platform as a force multiplier for monitoring tools correlating across IT monitoring, performance monitoring, network monitoring, and digital experience monitoring.
Evidently, AIOps has proved its place in the business world of today. It delivers precisely what it promises - seamless IT management with minimal intervention for your IT team. That way, you get to focus on more strategic aspects of your business.